Durham DH7 0TP
Already know a dragonfly from a damselfly? Think you can tell the difference between a Southern Hawker and a Migrant Hawker? Were you involved in last years’ DWT survey of Dragonflies? If so, this refresher talk is for you. Weather permitting we will meet at Malton Pond https://durhamwt.com/reserves/malton-nature-reserve/ hopefully when Large Red Damselflies are just emerging (Can’t guarantee that) and we can practice surveying a site, learn tips on how to identify the less common species and get great photos.
During this talk and walk we will cover:
- Which species are likely to be seen in the north east
- How to tell the difference between males, females and youngsters
- How to tell the difference between similar looking species
- How to spot and collect exuvia
- How to survey an area and submit findings
- How to photograph dragonflies in flight
And for those who would like to help with the 2019 survey, you will hear details of next steps and locations to cover.
If you are unable to attend but have previously completed the Damsel and Dragons surveys and would like to do so again this year, please contact Michael directly at Dragons@durhamwt.co.uk
As this is an outdoor event and dragonflies prefer warm days, please check your email on the morning of the event just in case it is postponed. Also, as the survey season starts in early May, do not wait for this event to start submitting your sightings to Michael of dragonflies at DWT reserves