Post Title: Volunteer Reserve Officer (VRO)
Location: Based at Low Barns Nature Reserve, Witton-le-Wear, DL14 0AG
Responsible to: Reserves Officer (West)
General Brief: To contribute to the delivery of conservation works on Wildlife Trust Reserves
Undertake an extensive training package.
Practical implementation of estate management activities
- To supervise volunteer group tasks as appropriate.
- To be responsible for the maintenance and servicing of, machinery, tools and equipment and maintaining records.
- To assist with the review and updating of management plans for DWT reserves.
- To implement the Trust’s Risk Assessment and Health and Safety systems within the framework of the Reserves Team.
- To contribute to the administration of estates management.
- Record volunteer numbers/ task details.
- To attend team meetings and conferences.
- To assist with Trust events and lead guided walks on Trust reserves.
- To promote the Trust and its work via the provision of guided walks, presentations, the preparation of interpretative materials and through participation in events and activities.
- To produce and develop one edition of the Hedleyhope Herald and/or Wildlife Volunteer magazine where required.
- Update Volunteer Task Force website as required.
Survey and monitoring
- To assist with survey and monitoring of habitats and species on Trust reserves.
- Any other relevant tasks as requested by line manager.
- Highly motivated
- Strong leadership skills
- Good level of basic education and ability to grasp underpinning knowledge.
- A good level of physical fitness
- Willingness to use power tools (training is provided).
- Ability to work with a range of people from different age groups and backgrounds
- Willingness to develop skills and standards of workmanship required in wildlife reserve management.
- Full driving license
- Qualification in environmental related discipline
- Experience of similar work.
- Good knowledge of natural history.
- Mechanical aptitude.
Application Process: Please send your CV with covering letter outlining why you think you are suitable for the post to
Closing date: 12 noon Friday 20th October 2017. Successful candidates will be invited to interview Friday 27th October 2017 at Low Barns Nature Reserve.
For any further information about the post please contact: